Monday, December 2, 2013

Count down is on!

Down to 10 shifts left at Hendrick Medical Center.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the floor I work on, the people I work with and the overtime I've been able to work....but I am ready to be home and move on to somewhere new.  My dad tells me I have a bad habit of taking my marbles and going somewhere else when I don't like things.  I suppose that is part of the appeal of travel nursing!  By the time I start to understand where the lines in the sand are, I'm moving on!

So things I dislike about Abilene: no one seems to know where they are going as they all slam on their brakes and turn at the very last second.  I do this too because I often don't know where I'm going, but I also have out of state plates to explain my erratic driving.  Not sure what the excuse is for the natives.

Also, it is nearly impossible to get a drink from either Starbucks location (yes, they have a grand total of 2) in less then ten minutes.   I talked to someone who works there last night and she explained they'd been without a manager for quite some time and even with the new manager they have a hard time keeping employees.  This explains why I get very pleasant service every time, it's just really slow.

Things I like about Abilene:  having family style dinner at work.  This is a P3 tradition, and I really like that there are 4 meals a week I don't eat alone.  Eating alone is definitely one of the harder parts of traveling solo.

Another plus is that I have owls now living on the roof of my apartment.  There presence has greatly discouraged other birds from hanging out up there which keeps the chirping to a minimum while I'm sleeping.  The downside of that is I can hear them up there at night and I worry about the integrity of the roof.  Another traveler had a good laugh just imagining me sitting in me apartment and an owl falling through my ceiling.  I would have laughed except I have a real fear it will happen.

So since I'm quite certain there is a owl sitting directly above me right this second I'm going to find something to do in another part of the apartment....closer to the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment