Monday, June 9, 2014

My umbrella's broken

So last month we had girl's weekend in Asheville, NC.  As always there was no shortage of laughter.  You cannot take my mom and I anywhere, seriously!  But it was a great time with family and a most beautiful wedding with a breathtaking bride.

My mom, my aunt, my grandma and I went to the Biltmore Estate because I just love that place and wanted to share it with these women.  We took to the scenic route up and it was so a great drive through the mountains.  We ate at The Gourmet Chip Factory in downtown, and if you ever get to Asheville I highly recommend it.  They make great chips and the sandwiches were quite tasty. 

When we got to the Biltmore it had started raining, and that's really where the drama started, too.  Thankfully most drama in our family is hysterical.  This drama involved an umbrella and a shuttle of people who got to watch the craziness unfold.  My aunt had two umbrellas and said "one of these doesn't work" and proceeded to hand one to my mother.   We see the trolley coming and my aunt and grandma head over there immediately.  Mom is still trying to get herself together. 

She opens her door and tries to open the umbrella.  This is less than successful so she closes her door, because it's raining.  Meanwhile my grandma is partway on the trolley, my aunt is standing with her umbrella just looking at us like we're crazy.  I have a hood so I'm outside the car waiting for mom the get out of the car.  She opens her door again, umbrella doesn't open again and she shuts the door, again. 

I'm now trying to find her jacket in the luggage.  Grandma is now on the trolley and Julie is still watching us like we're crazy (and unbeknownst to us is telling grandma to get off the trolley).  I find the jacket, and get the umbrella open and we dash for the trolley.  My aunt and grandma are now seated and I sit behind them.  Mom gets on and now can't get the umbrella closed.  No one on the trolley is talking, just watching the drama continue.  In an effort to not get everyone wet mom turns the umbrella upside down, but now it's blocking the aisle and she can't get around it to sit by me. 

There is an empty seat across the aisle from my aunt and she finally tells my mom "Sit down, you're embarrassing me" to which everyone in the trolley start laughing.  Mom and my aunt proceed to argue about which umbrella is broken (it wasn't the one my mom had).  At the next stop everyone but our group gets off the trolley. 

After all that we enjoyed our tour through the house and gardens.  Saturday they shopped their way back to Georgia and I was able to attend the wedding of a dear friend.  It was a perfect day and perfect place.  She was a beautiful bride and it was a great ceremony.  I am so happy for her and so excited I got to be there! 



No comments:

Post a Comment